Monday, May 3, 2010

Clinton Kelly, fashion guru

This was such a great weekend, fashion-wise. To summarize, I was in the Alderwood Mall for 6+ hours on Saturday - had to be a great weekend right? I went with 2 of my future roommates to Clinton Kelly's Make Over America event, where he's touring 12 cities and making over real women. They apply, and if chosen they get to have a day of shopping with him, get their hair and make up done by professionals, and then strut their stuff in a fashion show, which is what we got to watch. If you don't know (and you really should know) Clinton Kelly is one of the hosts of What Not to Wear, and he's always the author of "Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Behave, Eat, Drink, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better than Everyone Else". He was so great in person! He gave a little intro, and had a couple people come up who wanted their outfits critiqued. One woman came up with a sloppy ponytail, a bright blue velour jumpsuit (kid you not) with a giant gray hoodie over the sweatshirt and tennis shoes. Needless to say, he ripped her apart (her excuse was that she was hungover, which he did not accept). The fashion show was great, because all of the woman looked so much better but more than that looked so happy and confident! Confidence is the best accessory. Afterwards, he did a Q&A time where I got to ask him his advice on mixing prints in outfits, which I love it do. Coincidentally, it is one of his "absolute favorite things to do" and he even made a Beyonce/Destiny's Child reference in his answer...how could I possibly love him more? He was full of fashionably inspiring one-liners, such as "You shouldn't let anything in your life block you from feeling fabulous. If you hate your whole wardrobe, get rid of it. That goes for people too..if someone in your life is keeping you from being fabulous, dump the chump!" or "Yeah, everything looks good on a model. But I don't dress models, I dress real women!" He talked about the absolute ability to look your best while still looking comfortable (you hear that, Pacific Northwest? it's more than possible) and how much he loves Seattle. I could go on, but I'll just say that hearing someone talk about fashion is never, ever boring to me.


Also, I did some great shopping this weekend. At Urban I got a pair of shoes, two shirts, a so so soft cardigan, and a blazer for only $75! This weekend I also got a great striped pencil skirt for approx $7 and a gorgeous dress marked down from $200 to $138. If you're anything like me, you know what a good feeling it is to literally save hundreds of dollars while buying amazing things. Retail-wise, I am oh-so-satisfied.

No comments: